Other possible funding for EU and non-EU citizens

Note: The information provided here is intended to help the prospect students looking for other sources of funding besides the EMJMD scholarship. However, we do not provide instructions or further details on this. Please send all your queries to the corresponding institutions below.

The following lists a variety of potential scholarship sources for admitted students that are accepted into the programme. We list the potential sources by country, for example, a student planning to spend his first year of the programme in Germany should also start by contacting the sources listed for Germany.

A couple of general avenues to pursue are the following:

  1. Speak to a counselor at the international office of your university and inquire about the possibility of a stipend or an exchange programme with one of the four partner universities of the AFEPA programme.
  2. Speak to a representative of your government, or maybe a local representative from your electoral district. State your case and the fact that you have been admitted to the programme, but that it is just for lack of funding that you cannot attend it. Explain the potential service of well-educated individuals coming back an working in your country, and thus the government’s interest in assisting people to receive an outstanding education and training in an international context. Alternatively to your local representative, you could also address the agricultural ministry directly with your objective.
  3. Contact and visit embassies representing the four countries involved in the AFEPA European Master and explore with them the availability of funding for graduate studies. Remind your embassy’s contact that this European Master’s degree has been awarded the well-regarded Erasmus Mundus label certified by the European Commission.

Erasmus+ Master Degree Loans for students living in a Programme Country:

Erasmus+ Master Degree Loans are EU-guaranteed loans with favourable pay-back terms. They are designed to help prospective students finance their Master’s courses in an Erasmus+ Programme country. The Erasmus+ Master Loan intends to support full Master studies by Programme country residents in a country other than either their country of residence or the country where they received their first qualification. For more information follow the  link.

Germany (University of Bonn):

The German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) provides a scholarship database, which enables you to search by country of origin, academic field and academic level. So you would state your country of origin, then “agriculture” or “social sciences” as your desired field and then “postgraduate” and the database will display a number of options for you to consider. Keep in mind, that the choices listed may still not be applicable for you, but it is worth considering this database and contact specific institutions listed directly if you believe they may fit your case. Access the database here.

Belgium (Université catholique de Louvain):

The Agence Universitaire de la Francophonie (AUF) has a couple of options for francophone students that may be worth exploring. Check with a representative of your university about a partnership with UCL, because it may facilitate the use of one of AUF’s programmes. Otherwise, consult the website of the AUF and contact them directly with a description of your objective in order to see if your case is applicable to one of their programmes. Notably, the programmes 1 and 4 on the following website may be of interest to you. Again, state that you are admitted into the programme already. Access the website here.

Sweden (Swedish Academy of Agricultural Sciences):

For students wanting to start their study in Sweden, a scholarship database can be accessed here. The website enables you to search which scholarships are applicable to you depending on your country of origin and your desired degree level. Alternatively, a couple of other institutions offer funding for international students wanting to study in Sweden and some of them may be applicable to you. Contact the issuing institution directly in order to find out their conditions and whether you qualify.